Thursday, January 1

Unfinished business: part 2

New year, oh a new year.

I've been on another of my famous hiatuses. I had finished the Zoo Race on quite a high. I could have let that momentum carry me. Instead, I let it die ....and along with it, this blog.

I could make the excuse that I had started a new job (actually I finished a three-year special project and sadly returned to a job I thought I had progressed from) and it wasn't going well. I could make the excuse that my shoulder was causing me to back off from running (how? I don't know. I said it was an excuse.) I could make the excuse that I hate winter running. Or maybe I am just not enthused about running anymore and seek another challenge.

A girl at work has asked me to run with her -- no wait, she said "teach me to run" -- when we return from the holiday break. It was an fascinating proposition and I wasn't sure how to respond. Teach? I don't know what I have to offer, but I suppose I am a non-threatening slower-than-average runner whose fleeting persistence somehow motivates others. What they don't know is that I think I actually need them more to motivate me than they need me.

The seriousness with running that I applied to the Chicago Marathon in 2006 is all but gone. I wish to do another marathon but the thought scares me a little because of the commitment involved. I know I am comfortable with the half-marathon and the shorter distances -- much more forgiving with the other things I enjoy in life (mostly extreme laziness whenever the whim takes me). Out of habit, I'll probably sign up for Harry's, Sporting Life, and the Zoo and likely the Scotiabank half-marathon too. I am not looking to do anything out of town this year, but I can be swayed easily. The year is only a few hours old.

3 comments:

yumke said...

So welcome back! what are you gonna run this year? I gotta start thinking of that too!

Arcane said...

Happy New Year. All the best for 2009!

Sonia said...

It's good to see you back posting! Happy New Year! You know you wanna run!