Tuesday, March 27

P-U-R-S-U-I-T

noun
1. Striving toward; aim, goal, objective, dream
2. Activity, hobby, diversion, recreation, amusement; occupation
I think about words a lot. It's my job, my chosen career. It's really no accident then, that today, I found myself at a corporate Scrabble tournament in support of literacy. In truth, I didn't play very well -- well below personal bests -- and I never once came close to using all seven of my tiles in one turn (that's not to say that I make it a habit to use all 7 tiles, sometimes I'm just not that lucky in the draw). It's nearly impossible to score well when you're holding 3 As, 2 Os and 1 E, and an H. I still managed to win at my table, with a pathetic-for-me score of 113, built on words like "jerk", "taxa" and "sate" but without the benefit of fancy premium squares. Anyways, Scrabble is just another of my nerdy pursuits, much like Warcrack and watching comicbook-inspired movies.

But I offset these sedantary pursuits with another favorite diversion: the outdoor run. As opposed to the indoor treadmill run, which is simply gruntwork. Though both instances help to lift the semi-guilt wrought up over buttery popcorn, Coke, and Dairy Milk bars. And Pizza Thursdays.

I'm on Week 4 of Hal's intermediate half-marathon plan, after realizing recently that I had miscounted by two weeks (!) the start date of this training plan towards the Ottawa race at the end of May. I replaced the Friday and Saturday scheduled rest days in favor of 2 5K runs. The program suggested a 5K race on Sunday but I didn't even try to find one and barely went outside. I also rested yesterday (even though it's technically a stretch and strengthen day). And Afterwork RunClub is now back on track (4.2 miles today. almost 3/4 of a mile more than planned).

It's amazing how I've tricked myself into putting in the time to pursue a better finishing time in the half-marathon distance. I'm not signed up for this spring Ottawa race I keep referencing and I'm not even sure if I have the desire to go. I'll put in the physical work to achieve improvement. But it's the mental battle that's harder, and it has always been the hardest part for me. Because I am training for a false objective because it's highly unlikely I'll make this trip to the nation's capital race.

So perhaps I should strive towards something else more manageable, arguably more practical. I could stand to lose maybe a few more pounds before The Wedding Day, work on the arms and back because these parts will be exposed in my uberfabulous dress.

Some people might chase their running goals with precision, following a training plan, eating properly, signing up for practice races, diarizing every mile tread, and buying new shoes every
500 miles.

You can't spell pursuit without purist. Or ruts, for that matter......


ps: this is Post 200!

1 comment:

yumke said...

Nice post JP.. And Post 200!