Photo Finish
If you had asked me 10 years ago if half the masthead at the school newspaper would become avid runners, I would have bet heavily against that. All my savings, plus my firstborn if I had one.Especially if you had said that this group of runners were all photo editors too. This is a group of kids who stayed up all night to meet deadlines (all of us), smoked too much (well, one of us), drank too much (most of us), watched our waistlines expand with the embarassingly bad eating habits (sadly, all of us), all while inhaling photo developer fluid (hey, these were the days before anyone was fully digital). And occassionally listening to Celine belt out that schmaltzy Titanic love song (one of us subjected the rest of us).But here we were, at the 2008 Harry's Spring Run Off.
Four photo editors running the city's first big race through the beautiful (and hilly -- have I complained about hills before??) High Park. Two of us sign up for the 5K, and the other two sign up for the 8K.
The race itself was okay for me and went as expected. I had difficulty on the hills, but my new shoes feel great. I finished in 56:27 minutes, no walking. Yumke, who PB'ed yet again, and I waited for our former fellow photo editors to finish their 5K race, which started an hour after ours.It's the most unlikely of reunion spots for this group. I wonder if we could get a few more editors, photo and otherwise, out there. One day, maybe we could even enter as a TEAM.
This is the online journal of one Toronto girl who is returning to the scene of her first and only marathon. On Oct. 9, 2011, she will run the Chicago marathon five years after the maiden marathon.
Saturday, April 5
As I imagined it.... (Harry's Spring Run-Off fake race report)
The following is a post, as i imagined it, for today's race (originally written March 28 after I'd heard who was the potential post-race breakfast partners; photo courtesy of Yumke and posted late afternoon):
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
congrats on the finish! Good seeing you again.
Celine. Will she ever leave me alone? Ever?
Solid run today, and congrats on the PB! Sorry about the bacon. Had I known of the historical significance, I would have ordered some, and handed it across the table.
Haha. That post was dead on!
Post a Comment