Monday, December 25

A Jolly Jelly Christmas

Before I stuffed myself with all the good (read: high caloric) food on this day, I convinced myself to go for a run. Not because of my mad lib of a holiday poem the other day. Okay, maybe a little. But I had to today of all days, because really, I went to the trouble of packing my running gear... because the only activities planned for the estimated next 12 hours I'd likely be spending at the family homestead were playing Trivial Pursuit (Millenium Edition or Pop Culture 2 were the choices) and gorging. And since I'd mapped out a shorty 5K course for myself this morning... well... that's just premeditation.

I'd passed up too many "good" running days this past week despite my best intentions. The Tuesday Afterwork RunClub was canceled too, and I never made up that mileage. It's not on tomorrow either -- it's still a public holiday in Canada -- but the plan is to go on Wednesday instead when my regular work schedule resumes (boooooo!). So anyways, when I announced to my parents I was going for a run before our guests were arriving in the late afternoon, my dad was all to eager to go too. He dragged out his bike and introduced me to usual neighborhood route. It's a route that winds its ways through the newish park behind the house, past my old primary school, past the houses of friends from Grade 3 whose names I barely remember, around the newer development where there were once hydro fields. My dad usually does this route about 8 times on his bike. Today we would do four variations of this route. I wished I had brought my Garmin with me for an accurate reading. We were out for about an hour so I figure we covered about 10K. I felt strong the entire time. And then we opened presents when we got back.

Merry Christmas, Festivus, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and Monday to all!

No comments: