I didn't have an inkling of what was going on. I had volunteered to attend a business meeting as an observer on the most beautiful weekend day yet. I didn't know it was going to be this nice three weeks ago when I agreed to it. Since I was only there in an observer capacity, it was okay that I ditched it a little early. Just as well because I had just three more hours to pick up my race package for Sunday's 10K race. Though drained by the amount of legalese and number crunching involved earlier in the day, I was looking forward to the carboloading party agreed upon by the four-member family team I'd assembled for this race. CMan chauffered my sister and I to claim our bibs and chip.
Then we walked around the neighborhood and maybe here I should have clued in.
CMan was not complaining about shopping, about being away from Warcrack, or trying to hurry me in any way. Odd, but I didn't think hard about it.
We began the journey home. A major highway was closed for spring maintenance, adding so many more cars to the regular thoroughfares and slowing our progress at times. I made a minor stop at home and we headed to her place.
In I walk into my sister's apartment.
There is no pasta.
Instead, there's crunchy veg and dip, proscuitto and fig rolls, crackers and cheese, spinach phyllo strudel, and brownies piled high.
And almost every girl that I know is standing in the room and shouting "surprise"! I was got. They got me good. I didn't know what to say. My sister said I blushed bigtime, that the look on my face was priceless. I think I managed to say, "Girls. Not the day before a race! I thought we were having pasta!"
Teehee. We had the regular bridal shower happenings... lotta yapping, snacking, gift opening, and silly game playing. Then more eating and yakking. The girls are fantabulous, there aren't enough words to describe it.
My sister, her husband and my cousin eventually got to the pasta; whole wheat spaghettini served with a homemade spicy tomato sauce.
There is no race strategy except to complete and have fun. I ran 2 miles on the treadmill on Friday morning, just to remember what running feels like. My sister is more ready than she thinks and I can't wait to see the look on her face when she crosses the finish line.
2 comments:
Glad you have fun (at both the race and your shower)...
Mara-thon! Mara-thon!
I got you good! :)
Thanks for all your encouragement along the way. The race was awesome and easier then I thought (not that it was easy, I worked hard to make it "less hard"!) and I'm totally feeling that runner's high... let's do the zoo race!!!!
Post a Comment