Tuesday, July 4

No Bull


Meet the mechanical bull at Bobby Mackeys, an authentic country western bar not far from my brother-in-law's family farm in Wilder, Kentucky. Fascinating place, not the least of which the building is purported to be haunted. Anyways, perhaps more on this later but I literally just stumbled back home to the Toronto condo after a 14-hour car trip home (which included an outlet mall stop).
But, just wanted to check in and say the vacation schedule didn't interfere with the training schedule -- I actually just had the Long Run to do, and cross training, which were sandwiched between two rest days (or in this case, car travel days).

My cousin, who is running the half marathon in September, and I agreed to celebrate our country's Canada Day with an 8-mile run. So on Saturday morning, before the Kentucky heat really heated up, we drove out to the family farm from the hotel because there was no obvious place to run by the hotel which was right off a highway. The country road leading to the farm is two miles long. Perfect. The schedule called for a 7 miler, but what's a mile between friends. In truth, we wanted to avoid the country road, only because there were several long hills, but the other option was to run around their field (which we tried for 400 meteres. It wasn't pretty). To make a long story shorter (because I really need to get to bed), the Garmin says we ran a fairly steady 8.75 miles (14.1K) in 1:45:28; with an average pace of 12:03/mile. No bull.

And by the way, even though at some point I might have said to my friend, Angela, who lives out in Calgary that we might ride a mechanical bull before we hit 30, I just couldn't do it. I was watching the bull operator control the bull, and there was a definite difference in how he treated the girls versus the boys on the bull. Let's just say it wasn't PG where the girls were concerned.
And my father was at the bar.

No bull.

2 comments:

yumke said...

No bull, eh? how how was it out there?

jellypepper said...

It was that kind of smothering heat. The kind that just makes the air soupy. It was probably about 30C, but felt worst. But the evenings were very comfortable. And the unheated pool was just the answer!