Friday, July 14

No rest for the lazy

I skipped my run last night, not because I was drunk off my tree, or that I didn't feel like it, or some other chintzy excuse like my iPod and/or Garmin was dead, or that I lost my shoelaces.

Here's the excuse: we spent some time at Sleep Country, and eventually put a down payment on a king-sized bed (one that is apparently featured at The Plaza's Presidential suite, and since I don't have $15,000 to spend on one night at the landmark hotel in NYC, then I'm going to make my own luxurious sleeping quarters)... And we cleaned the new house last night from top to bottom before Sunday's move.

Does this make me a lazy trainee? Well, maybe. A committed, disciplined runner would have had time set aside to run.

And guess what friends? It's TGIF today... Thank God I'mnotrunning Friday.

Lest you worry that I'm in danger of falling off track in Week 4, I hauled myself out of bed this morning to make up for the missed run. I was out the door at 6:20, with only a glass of water as fuel (I have medication that I must take on an empty stomach, but it makes me feel funny sometimes so I was just going to wait til after the run... and then eat an hour after that).

It was already muggy. Temperature read 21C, but it felt like 30C. Garmin didn't pick up a signal, and after 10 minutes, I just got tired of waiting. Ran the stopwatch instead, knowing that it takes me about 40 minutes to get through 3 miles.

I felt a little twinge in the left shin-to-ankle area not too long into it. Maybe I haven't stretched enough? I walked a little bit, and cursed Wednesday's hill training, and trudged along.

No surprise, but I felt slower than usual, and I didn't exactly adhere to my usual ratio of run 10/walk 1 minutes. But I pushed through the distance -- Gmaps measures it at 3.3 miles -- and Garmin kicked in, unhelpfully, for my last three-quarters of a mile.

So, now I can rest.

(But right after I reintroducing myself to my gym today -- my membership is getting wasted with all this running business -- so I'm going to a yoga class at lunch time.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Nobody said it would be easy. All these hard mornings will be worth the feeling you get come October 22. - WCF

Triseverance said...

ohhh the bed sounds so cozy. Amy and I often blame the comfyness of our bed for hitting the snooze for or five times each morning.

Loved your Haiku by the way, the best idea I heard all week. :)

jellypepper said...

Thanks all for your kind words. I think with the upcoming move, it's made me particular prone to being cranky about running and difficult to concentrate.

Bob: I fear this upgrade in bed quality is going to make morning runs unpopular, but it will make tiredness history.

Runnergirl: I live in a concrete jungle. Not NYC-style, but there are some tall buildings around me that could interfere. I do set the Garmin aside, stretch and warm up, but it's never taken more than 5minutes to kick in. Guess it can be tempermental. Unsure if it's because it's an older model. Thankfully, seems my new place may be easier to catch a signal. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
http://www.car-warranty-2.info/general-lee-the-car.html Promotion affiliate marketing internet online business Therm-x fat loss Internet marketing affiliate program ebook affiliate internet marketing online promotion business selkirk cabinet yaak ecosystems Arizona search engine marketing Free adult email lists affiliate apparel guide program http://n65v0fsmk.blogspot.com/ symptoms weight loss fatigue vomiting http://www.affiliate-marketing-6.info laptop computers Legal assistant velarde new mexico