Here's another reason why I signed up for a marathon. I see a running regimen as a kind of easy, low maintenance activity as long as you go out and do it. All you need to do is put on shoes and go. Going to the gym can be a big production sometimes. So, I started to use running -- though not consistently -- but more as the supplementary activity to going to the gym and going to G's classes 3 times a week. It was the kind of thing that I thought I could implement into my life because my doctor told me to.
I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, the type that is manageable by good diet, exercise, some meds. My blood/sugar level two years ago indicated I was at risk of this condition, and while it still isn't out of control, my doctor says it's higher than she would like to see it -- especially since I'm not even 30 yet and it's a condition that affects people a decade or more older than me -- and upgraded me to having it.
It's not the end of the world, but I'm aware I haven't come to terms with it. I know I cheat a bit too much diet-wise. And as if to put an exclamation on this point, my doctor -- an endocrinologist I saw today for the first time -- told me I was fat. Okay, she said overweight, as measured by the Body Mass Index (BMI), which I don't personally believe in, but I still have to listen to the doc I guess.
In addition to a battery of other tests, she is sending me to a dietician. But before I get that appointment, she's put me on a 1,500 calorie diet, and minus snacks. And nix the OJ because juice is very high in sugar. All this is good if it means shedding a few more pounds to achieve that silly BMI (I'm not that far off, actually), but also completely confusing because how am I supposed to fuel my body adequately if carbs is the thing that matters most to blood glucose control?
Something to ponder. Which I will ... on the treadmill tonight when I do my scheduled 3-miles. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow: Rest.
3 comments:
did you tell the doc about the marathon plans? what did she say? i hear you on the BMI, though cutting down on sugar prolly not a bad idea.
what, you can link you running boys, and not me? just cause i'm not entering a marathon doesn't mean i'm not still a good person, and occasional runner. yeesh, i'm taking you off my list! and you owe me an email. pants.
oooh, caught with my pants down here! i'm linking ya, doncha worry. i have a different plan for you, she who blogs here: http://africabowers.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment