Sunday is a cross-training day. So, it's fitting that my first real cross-training day comes with the first outdoor bike ride of the year, and it's a healthy 50K for charity. Not that I actually made an effort to gather pledges this year -- but I promise to sponsor myself, at least $100 in honor of family members who need this important research done for heart and stroke.Earlier this week, I was concerned about whether to actually do the weekly Long Run the day before the charity event. Well, I did. But now I'm concerned whether I can actually run tomorrow. If I follow Higdon's training manual, then it doesn't matter -- it's a scheduled rest day.
If I follow Coach Jenny, then it's a 35-minute outing, with today having been the rest day. Guess that answers that. I'm on Higdon this week.

So two major arteries -- the Don Valley Parkway and a part of the Gardiner -- were shut down for a good chunk of the day today to cars. Bikes only. And some rollerbladers. Thousands of people were out there having a ball. I'm sure everyone was happy this ride didn't happen yesterday when it was cats and dogs.
My dad and I started our ride late. We were supposed to start at 8AM with the rest of the Corporate Teams. But, I was unprepared. Really unprepared; which I sometimes feel is my metaphor in life. There was no air in my tires before Dad picked me up this morning, having had to rearrange my storage locker last night to dig the creaky bike out of deep hibernation. And so, we tried to put enough air in to get me to the start line, where I was sure I'd get better mechanical support. Turns out there's something wrong with the chain and some wheely thing, as well as the intake valve on the front tire -- guy says there's sludge in there, and that I'd need a new tube, and for $5 he'd change it there, but that if I chose not to, I'd be okay for the day but I'd need to expend a little bit more energy.
Why did I choose to expend energy? Well, it wasn't so horrible. We finally got to the start line at 9AM and then it took Dad and I 3 hours, 10 minutes to complete the course. We've done better in previous years -- I don't know why we were so slow today. The last of our team to finish, but no matter -- the important thing was to hang out with Dad.

We just enjoyed the scenery, marvelling how great it is to just take over the highways, especially the DVP, the highway that connects me to my family every week when I visit.
And this is what Toronto looks like when two major highways are off limits for a few hours (below). It was a perfect day to ride, with 16C temp, partial sun, or go for a run -- which Frank did, and who we (some team members were extra-thirsty ... hello pub) met along the way. He came by later too, with credit cards and extra cash, for those of us who neglected to bring a wallet today.

Good times. Can't wait til next year.
5 comments:
I would have sponsored you!
Thanks, but I just didn't get my act together this year on the sponsoring thing; I think you still can pledge if you're into it, just not online. Don't worry, I'll have other causes :)
like some cambodian cause?
Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»
This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»
Post a Comment