To make the most of the last day before I take on Hal Higdon's NOVICE training program, I did nothing that required much effort. That meant skipping the yoga class I had intended to go to (couldn't stand the thought of downward dog for 90 minutes), so that morphed into watching some World Cup and eating waffles.
But I find myself thinking about the long road ahead -- that's 710K (441 miles) in training, a progression that is supposed to prepare me for show time -- and I can't help but freak out just a little bit.
It becomes real tomorrow. It becomes a real commitment tomorrow, a project unlike anything I've ever tackled. I start the program probably not at the weight that I'd like to be, but I start knowing that I've come a long way since handing over US$100 to the Chicago Marathon people back in January when I decided this was the race for me.
I do not run quickly, but I run with determination, with focus.
I will go through at least two more pairs of shoes, experiment with gels, eat even smarter, and hydrate hydrate hydrate.
I will probably lose my way, get discouraged more than a few times in the next 125 days, and definitely cry, but hopefully I will never find injury, and if I do, I hope I heal speedily. I do know that I have a support group out there that will help me through it all. I thank you in advance. We're in this together.
See you at the finish line.
(Of course, that said... the best thing about starting officially tomorrow -- Monday is a rest day! Thanks Hal).
6 comments:
Good luck, and rest days do so rock.
i have said this before and i will continue saying it til the end of this 18weeks. Rest is my favorite word where this training is concerned. That, and MASSAGE!
Good luck in your program too.
you can do it. doooo iiiiittt. doit.
New Visitor! I'm headed to Chicago this year as well. I keep a blog if you're interested, though I need to ramp up my posting as it has been few and far between lately.
You can do this!
can't wait to check in with all of you. well wishes right back at ya.
Hey there,
A little while back I blogged about this post on ThisNext.com (check it out at http://blog.thisnext.com/blog/who-is-hal-higdon.html). ThisNext recently started a month-long private beta and I'd love to invite you to come to the site and make a list of your favorite fitness and health products (and any other products you love).
Clicking this link will get you into your account: http://www.thisnext.com/invitation/8798-0107-9259. It’s a one-time URL that’s only for you, so it can’t be shared.
Once you sign up, you can get started on making a list of your favorite products and telling everybody why you love them – just like Hans Rey has done here: http://www.thisnext.com/list/B3415DD3/How-I-Gear-Up. After your list is made, you can see what other likeminded members are recommending for you. It’s a perfect way to great product recommendations from a community of people whose interests, tastes, and values are in sync with your own.
ThisNext will also help you attract more traffic, since your list will link to your blog.
One small favor: We’re asking the bloggers that we invite to please NOT post about the project until our public launch in August. We’ll let you know when.
Hope to see you around the ThisNext neighborhood. Please let us know how the site’s working for you - we’re still working on it!
Thanks,
Liz
P.S. Don’t hesitate to email me any questions! (lizbarker77@gmail.com)
Post a Comment