Thursday, August 17

Can a Good Running Shoe Cost $32?




A New York Times article asked that in today's Style section. It's not a high-tech shoe by any means, and only designed for "neutral" runners, those that run 10-15 miles per week. So not me.

But it got me thinking about my own footwear. Does a more expensive shoe really help? I just spent about C$350 on two pairs of shoes in the past week. Both pairs each cost modestly more (about C$50 apiece) than my recently retired, and favored, New Balance 856s. (Yes, I am still lamenting and whining about this loss). I have yet to try out the new New Balance 1222, but the other pair, the Asics, gave me a very bubbly blister on one toe, and the next toe bled. So those are probably going back to the store. Unless new socks is the answer.
Do your feet learn to love a shoe? Or should your foot fall in love with the shoe instantly? Relationships are a funny thing.

Maybe the store can find me a new pair of my beloveds.

3 comments:

yumke said...

I think shoes with proper cushioning make a huge difference.. Just think of the weight you're putting on one foot for every stride. I also remember every time I retire a shoe and wear a new one.. huge difference.

Try the thinner socks. Bob had blister problems and they cleared up with proper socks. I tried the racing and thin Asics from the Running Room.. haven't had a blister since, even with my 20 miler

jellypepper said...

okay, maybe i won't give up on the Asics just yet. I'll go the expensive sock route first. i'll let you know how it goes.

Sonia said...

It would be great to find a great running shoes for that cheap! My solution, is get last year or an older model. That's always what I do.... as a student my budget does not allow me to spend 300+ on running shoes!!!

I have the same problems with my Asics.... weird... I'll try the thinner sox too. I bought the sauconys at the same time and have no problem with them (even with the 15 miler this morning).

Good luck on your Long run this week end!