I decided to make this run count. Make it symbolic. I'd run a kilometre for every year. I'd run 32 kilometres and reach that 20 mile mark, not for my training program, but for me.
It's all in your head, I've always believed about these long distances. The ability to run for more than two hours is an amazing feat that once you get it into your system, you can find ways to do it well.
-- Yumke, "My 32..."
I don't know what it is about Yumke. He's got this way with the pep talks, even if he doesn't know that he's giving them.
I woke up this morning completely, inexplicably depressed. I was just sad, an overall feeling of blueness. I puttered around the house, not really accomplishing anything. I was fidgety, but I did not want to go do a half-marathon distance today. I just didn't want to.
And so I haven't. Not yet, but the day is still young. And there's still tomorrow.
Because Yumke's words "It's all in your head" is ringing in my head.

Yumke, I've got nothing but the biggest birthday wishes for you. You are an inspiration to me, not only in the running world, but as a journalist and especially as a friend. This road in life, this marathon goal, is a lot easier with you to cheer me on. Wo jing da jia! (I think that's cheers in Chinese)
(and now I don't have to get you a card)
No comments:
Post a Comment