Sunday, August 27

UFC: Ultimate Fifteen (mile) Circuit

Okay, I admit it. I just finished watching the Ultimate Fighting Championship 62, taped from last night pay-per-view. I was supposed to watch this last night, but I was a superbad date as I fell asleep before the opening credits were finished. It was 10pm, I had a bellyful of rotini primavera and I had 15 miles waiting the next day ... I probably had no fighting chance of staying awake!

So I woke up this morning, not exactly raring to go, but ready. It was very overcast, and humid -- the most humid it's been in weeks, it seems. The rain overnight hadn't helped. And it looked like it would start again soon. Packed two gels, a water, and a bus ticket (always) in the fuel belt, then strapped the Garmin to my wrist and opted to leave the iPod at home today (wouldn't want to get that waterlogged).

I left at 7:30, and ran for 54 minutes, covering 4.5mi before meeting the running group. The group was doing 10K today, so that worked with my plan as it did last week. I did this portion of today's run at a much slower pace, almost a minute per mile slower -- I wasn't fast enough to keep up with the lead pack, but I was a little bit too fast (!) for the back of the pack. No midpaced people today. So I slowed down, because what's the point of running with a group if you run the preset course by yourself?

What this meant was that when I parted ways with the group afterwards, I had lots more energy left for the 4.5mi I needed to finish the task. So, I decided to try out the "virtual partner" function on the Garmin. I set the distance to 5mi. And the time at 12:30/mi, which is probably a little bit slower than I do on average, but something I thought I could hold for the whole distance. I raced the little virtual dude across the beach, then home. I miscalculated the distance home, and had to run a little bit more. I was very happy to see the end of the run. Because the screen flashed "Success!"

And it wasn't so bad to run a little bit extra around my neighborhood. Because I ended up at Tim Hortons. The reward: a medium coffee with milk and a chocolate dipped donut. I don't even feel exhausted.

Total distance today: 15.21mi/24.48K.
Time: 3:17:10.
Calories burned: 1407. So that's a no-guilt donut, thanks.

Weekly tally (for weeks 9, 10): 20.31mi + 27.21mi = 47.52
Training-to-date: 258.97mi/416.77K

5 comments:

yumke said...

'I don't even feel exhausted.' Wow, i remember the conversations we were having before this training program began.. now look at you now! congrats!

Arcane said...

How can you fall asleep watching UFC!!
Great job on the 15 miles. You're making some great progress!!

Sonia said...

Woohoo!!!

Awesome job on the 15 miles!! You're seriously kicking some butt and you could totally enjoy this donut guilt free!! =)

jellypepper said...

BEST DONUT EVER.

As for UFC, I don't know how I could've fallen asleep! On the bright side -- I'm glad I didn't stay awake to watch that Liddell/Sobral match!

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone! I'm really starting to believe that I can do this.

Anonymous said...

jellypepper said: Thanks again for the encouragement everyone! I'm really starting to believe that I can do this.
That's half (or more) of the battle. Remember the LITTLE ENGINE? I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.