Saturday, September 30

20 miles (!!!) in four parts


Twenty miles is freakin' far.

Not to state the obvious, but I just had to say it. For about the 82nd time today.

And then there's another 10K after this? My legs are still screaming; they have not yet forgiven me. And there's a good chance they won't til Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. But that's my fault because I haven't done all the good things, treat them right, after such an appallingly long run. It's been nine hours since I've completed this near-mythical distance for the first time. It's been about 1 hour since I've finally stopped running.

Okay... let's be clear. It's not that it took me nine hours to run 20 miles. But right after I finished, I had nonstop errands to do in advance of bridal shower I'm hosting for the cousin that's getting married a week after I complete Chicago. So there was no sitting down, extended stretching session, and certainly no ice bath. Of course, this all means I'll continue to pay for it tomorrow.

I have been thinking about this milestone run all week. I asked for running routes from the Running Room, I mapped out several courses across the city, trying to avoid as many hills as possible and making sure I was in for some scenery, and drank lots of water. I eventually decided on this route, with a turnaround at the 12mi mark, and I didn't bother mapping out the last 1-1/2 mile turnoff to home.

And then I broke it down into four parts. Because long distances need some kind of strategy applied, beyond Just Go. So it became Four 5-mile runs. And I asked Yumke to run on Saturday too, so that I'd have some company for part of it. Because, frankly, this was too much alone time. I figure it'd take me at least four hours to do this. Thankfully, he acquiesed to my request (something about liking to get this whole long run thing overwith). I asked Frankie to meet up somewhere along the way too, but he was sticking to his Sunday schedule.

In the end, while the four parts weren't broken up in 5-mile sections exactly, the four parts had their own characteristics and accompanying mood changes.

Part One: Left my house and did my usual head-to-the-beach route. Except for the first mile, I kept to a near-12 minute mile pace. I was feeling pretty good. I was a little cold, but at least there was no wind.

Part Two: Bumped into Yumke just as I was starting the next phase. I was going to follow my route. I was sure he'd catch up. He never did, and I was left to run through quite a depressing part of town, the very deserted port area. It didn't help that I didn't follow the trail, instead cutting across one of the decrepit roads. Which was woefully devoid of life. Eventually wound my way into the nice civilized part of the waterfront. Stopped at Yumke's condo for water.


Part Three:
The best part of today's run. Enjoyed running with Yumke so much that I changed my mind about doing the planned route. Which is a good thing because I was right -- the company helped big time. Not that we were constantly talking, but the comfort of just having someone there beside me was more than enough to get me through a good chunk of the second half. Ran about 7mi in his company, slowing in the final stretch of this portion of the course, but hardly stopping the whole time -- except for one phone call I had to make in the middle mile, and twice for a flight of stairs. I woohooed myself at Mile 16.1: I had officially run my furthest distance! Each step after this marker was a new record.
These will be the only (partial) splits I will probably ever post. Enjoy them now. Obviously they're slow for Yumke, but I think they're great for me:
10:35
10:24
10:43
12:41
10:43
11:01
11:22


Part Four:
By far the worst 3mi ever logged by this pair of legs. I had no desire left. I was tired, hungry, thirsty, crampy, imagining a blister forming, unfocused, and kind of dreading the afternoon ahead (because I was going to be denied my post-run nap). And insanely jealous that Yumke was done for the day. His taper to begin that moment. This last impromptu part of the route was by far the slowest. With Garmin claiming I did one of those miles in 35 minutes!! I suppose it could be accurate, but I don't remember that much walking. Sure I'd already run 18mi to this point, sure there was a lot of wind now, but to slow me down that much? I guess it's possible, but I don't believe it. I remember frequently checking the Garmin and wondering why the numbers weren't turning faster, and getting increasingly flustered. (Don't be smartass -- Of course I know it's directly related to my own movement.)
But it was the thought of a cheeseburger that got me through the last bit. CMan, on his way to work, found me about 1/2 mile from my goal, his workplace where I was to pick up the car for an afternoon of different running. He said he was going to pick up some burgers. I pushed as best I could a half mile down the road where a truly beautiful burger was awaiting. I think it might have taken me about 2-1/2 minutes to devour it. And then a large diet Coke. And some fries. And onion rings. Maybe not the greatest post-run meal, but wow, was it ever satisfying.

The numbers today: 20.1 miles. 2078 calories burned. Avg 13.17 min/mi. 4:26:51 spent on my feet running to achieve all this. One hurting, but accomplished and proud girl.

4 comments:

Sonia said...

WOW!!! What a great run!! Congrats to you!! 20 miler was the big one of the training and you did it! Without any problems!! You are so ready for Chicago!! Awesome girl! =)

I hope your legs won't feel too sore and stiff....

ENJOY TAPER NOW!

yumke said...

Glad I was at your side when you breached the 16 mile barrier. Congrats!

Triseverance said...

High five Jelly. Incredible job you should be proud. Consider me impressed. :)

jellypepper said...

As usual, you guys are the best. Thanks everyone for your cheers.. right back at you for your own weekend efforts.

I'm so revved for this race.