So I did it right today. I called in sick, slept longer, and stayed off my feet. Then proceeded to have a nice lunch with CMan in Little Italy. Then spent three hours at the spa where I got a well-deserved "thank you health plan" massage ("Please concentrate on my legs!"), reading time, and water therapy (whirlpool, float in the pool, steam room).
My body feels much better than it did when I woke up. Masseuse has helped work out most of the tightness in the calves -- and she said my legs were very strong, very healthy. And recommended another epsom salt bath tonight as follow-up.
So now that I'm nearly finished basking in today's big rest day, I am refreshed, reenergized, ready, and actually excited, to tackle Week 15. This is the BIG week. Not only is there a midweek 10-miler, sandwiched between two 5-milers, it is time for the first and only attempt at the 20-mile training run , before doing that and more in 26 days.
I do not fear the distance.
Because although my longest run to date is 16 miles (remember, I skipped the 18miler), I have built the confidence to do progressively longer runs, and finishing with a smile. A funny thing has happened these past 14 weeks -- I learned that I am capable of discipline, that I can do just about anything I set my mind to (except the ice bath), that maybe I do like this whole running thing.
Week 14 tally: 32.1mi/51.7K (includes half-mary race)
Training to date: 339.53mi/546.46K
4 comments:
Mental toughness is just as important as physical toughness when it comes to the marathon. Good luck with this weeks planned runs.
aww man I am so jealous of that rest day you just took. And you just post on and on about it jeeze have some sympathy jelly.
Good luck with your big week, you will do fine.
What a nice relaxing day!! Good luck on the big milleage week, you can do this!! =)
I had a massage too and it really relieved my hamstrings and thighs.
Bob - you're right.. I shouldn't have boasted so much about my spa day. But I just felt soooo darn good. I recommend it highly. I think Sonia does too.
R-Cane - I think everything is really starting to come together.
Post a Comment