I passed the stair test today, meaning my legs felt just fine going up and down from the basement to the bedroom. My legs didn't feel dead, and there was no lack of enthusiasm on my part today to get out there and start running again. It took quite a few long blocks before I felt myself kick into a decent enough stride, and I think it was because I was distracted by my fuel belt. After going blissfully belt-free, hands-free, and just free of (negative) thoughts during the race, I had to put one of those things back on today -- the belt.
It bounced with each step and i couldn't get it to sit right during the 5-miler, which I ran at a slower-than-usual average pace of 12:59/mile. At one point I thought about chucking the whole thing. I'm going to study the water station situation on the Chicago course. If I can go without a belt, this will make life a lot easier during race day. Though that means I'll have to reconsider my running bottoms -- need pockets.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but today's run, otherwise, was a piece of cake. Bring on the 10miler tomorrow!
5 comments:
Yeah, that's my big debate or not.. bring one or not.. i may have tgo investigate those little bottle thingys
Good to hear that you're recovering well. It's a good sign that you're training is paying off. I've never really liked belts and tend to run with a hand held water bottle. What I've done in races is to carry a half empty bottle of water which I use to get me by the first water stop at which point I will then toss it. Usually the first water stop is chaos at a marathon. But with 30000+ people at Chicago, I don't know if this will work as I'm thinking that it'll be chaos for the first few stations.
Jelly you should not need the belt for Chicago, at least you won't if you can drink better from those cups then I can. Most of my cup full seems to miss my mouth.
As far as shorts with pockets I am guessing you are talking about gels and what not. I found a race belt at the expo last weekend that had elastic loops on it that you can cram Gels and things of similar size into. It is made by feul belt and I think it is called a gel ready race belt.
Thanks for your feedback on the belt issue. I think I will go without it, find myself a pair of shorts with pockets that will fit my four packets of chocolatey goodness gels -- Frankie just picked up a pair of shorts that may be the winners -- and just find the back of the waterstations. I'm looking forward to the chaos!
I hate my belt too, the bouncing drives me insane! I think I should look into capris with pockets too!!
Post a Comment